Saturday, April 07, 2007

Kampala Extension

After Rwanda I was supposed to fly to Ethiopia from Kampala. Unfortunately I made a big error with the flight in that I assumed booking online got me a ticket. In fact, it only got me a reservation and I had to go to the booking office to actually buy the ticket. The result was that I was at the airport with no ticket and there was no booking office at the airport. I had to return to Kampala and the earliest flight was 4 days later. Lesson learned at the expense of 4 less days in Ethiopia.
Before my initially scheduled flight a group of us went to Bussi Island (or possibly peninsula) on Lake Victoria. It was very nice there and relaxing but the bugs at night were quite extreme. As a result of hanging around Kampala I was there while many other people left and also to meet Tyler's brother who arrived just before I left. Finally since my flight wasn't until 6:30pm, I spent a couple hours at the Entebbe wildlife santuary which was quite cool because there was a big family of chimps and also whito rhinos amongst many other African animals.


I am also impressed with the organized chaos of these mini-bus parks. Walking around Kampala's is like navigating a maze







The dock on Lake Victoria where we departed on the 40 minute boat ride to Bussi Island








This guy worked at the hostel on the island and was responsible for catching dinner. Dinner of fresh fish was amazing










Volleyball at sunset








Tyler and Tim - Identical brothers. An excellent example of what 6 months living in Africa will do to a good clean cut young man






One of the chimps at the wildlife santuary








White rhinos at the wildlife santuary









My plane to Ethiopia at Entebbe airport. I was very happy to see it








Sunset over Lake Victoria from the plane











1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got your postcard today! Thank you! We're planning a trip to Vancouver for the May long-weekend. Hope you're around! Much love, as always,
Katrina

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home